I recently attended Enterprise Nation’s StartUp 2020 event which I would highly recommend, for next year, to any wannabe entrepreneurs. With so much useful information packed into a single day I probably learnt more in the seven hours I was there than I did in my three years at university!
One very interesting talk from was from digital nomad Juliana Saldana on personal branding strategy. Here are a few of the key learnings I took from Juliana’s talk:
- The ‘About Us’ page is the second most visited page on your website
- People trust (and are inspired by) people, not logos.
- Juliana’s business and personal reputation has been built solely through trust generated online through her various profiles – the ability to achieve this is incredibly important in today’s globally connected world.
- Use real problems that you encounter with your clients to create content that shares your solutions with other potential clients.
- Change the way you see yourself – you are not solely your company, because if you are then you lose your identity every time you change companies:
- A lot of the most successful entrepreneurs have separate company and personal brands such as Richard Branson and Virgin.
- Your company is part of your vision but your vision is greater.
- Don’t be vanilla ice cream:
- Everyone likes it, no-one loves it.
- Add your personality – colours, how you dress, write, speak etc.
- It’s not about you:
- It’s about serving your audience in a relevant / better / easier way.
- Show up consistently with your content – this builds more trust with your audience.
- Make it personal with stories and examples to illustrate your points and make an emotional connection with your audience.
- Make it simple – one platform to start.
- Content is everywhere but how you share it is what’s relevant.
(Juliana also advised signing off with your name 😏)